Regional Directors of the Bureau of Fisheries IX, and Philippine Fisheries Commission were the following: RD Ambrosio N. Dar, Mauro Amuton and Armando A. Landayan. During BFAR – RD Matias Guieb, Al Haj. Khalil B. Habing (1972) DA Devolution – Roberto T. Lim and Miralam C. Tillah. During Fisheries Code of 1998 – Abdulgaphor N. Abdua (1998-2006), Virgilio A. Alforque (2006-2010), Ahadulla S. Sajili, Al-Haj (2010- 2016), Isidro M. Velayo (2016-2022) and Al-zath K. Kunting (2022-present).
By virtue of Presidential Decree No. 461, which was signed on May 17, 1974, the office was renamed as the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources under the Ministry of Natural Resources.
The Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Regional Office No. IX, Zamboanga City is located at Cawa-Cawa Boulevard now Roseller T. Lim Boulevard, since the establishment of Bureau of Fisheries on July 1, 1947.
In July 1986, BFAR Regional Office was merged with the Ministry of Agriculture and Food with the issuance of Executive Order No. 116 dated January 30, 1987. It was fully integrated with the Department of Agriculture. The enactment of Republic Act 7160 or the Local Government Code of 1991 paved the way for the devolution of BFAR Extension Offices and some Administrative Staff to the Local Government Unit. The BFAR 9 Zamboanga City remaining personnel was transferred to the Office of Agriculture at General Vicente Alvarez Street. Our Zamboanga City office at R.T. Lim Boulevard was occupied by the City Agriculturist personnel and also our provincial offices.
On February 25, 1998, His Excellency President Fidel V. Ramos signed into law Republic Act No. 8550, entitled, “An Act Providing for the Development, Management and Conservation of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources, integrating all laws pertinent thereto and for other purposes”, otherwise known as the Philippine Fisheries Code of 1998. This Law took effect on March 23, 1998, reconstitution of BFAR as a line bureau under the Department of Agriculture.